NLP & Machine Learning Internship
Nowigence Inc. is currently looking for interns to work collectively with its principal data scientist on challenging projects in the areas of natural language processing (NLP), machine learning, and data analytics.
Nowigence is a software-as-a-service (SaaS) company that interlaces structured and unstructured data to provide unparalleled market intelligence to both domestic and international clients. We are working on a smart platform that is capable of business-oriented knowledge representation and predictive modeling.
Qualified individuals will work in a research and development team to create semantic representation from unstructured free-texts, predominantly news articles. Potential candidates need to be enrolled in or graduated from an academic program disciplined in computer science, information science, mathematics, or related fields.
This is an excellent opportunity to get hands-on experience in solving real-world problems using NLP and machine learning. The projects involved in this internship play a crucial role in the development of our commercial product and will act as an excellent addition to the professional portfolio of the interns.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Build pipelines for multi-label classification on news articles
- Evaluate various algorithmic approaches in information extraction
- Train and optimize predictive models
- Information retrieval (with web scraping and parsing)
- Maintain and sanitize entries in the databases
- Write wrappers to connect backend with frontend UI
- Proficient with Python (preferred) or Java
- Knowledge of NLP and machine learning libraries (e.g., NLTK, Scikit Learn)
- Knowledge of common methods in information extraction
- Experience with tools and methods for feature engineering
- Experience in predictive modeling and parameter optimization
- Familiarity with AWS and Linux/Unix environments
- Strong research and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication (written, verbal) and teamwork skills
- Experience in NoSQL DBMS and CoreNLP is a plus
Master’s (including graduate students)
United States (includes F-1 students with CPT or OPT)
Qualified applicants should submit their resume to:
Carson Tao, Ph.D.
Principal Data Scientist
Nowigence Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Nowigence provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.